According to newly released estimates from the U.S.Department of Agriculture, to raise a child born in 2013 to the age of 18 it will cost $245,000.
Estimates vary where you live and how much you earn.
The USDA has broken this down further for us
For the Northeast (Pennsylvania included) ANNUAL COST
* HOUSING – includes mortgage or rent, taxes, gas, electric, water and house furnishings and appliances $4,788
* FOOD – food and non-alcoholic beverages, eating out, school meals $1,727
* TRANSPORTATION – monthly payments on cars, gasoline, maintenance and repairs, insurance and public transportation$1,524
* CLOTHING – children’s apparel – diapers, shirts, pants, footwear $1,219
* HEALTH – medical and dental not covered by insurance, prescriptions, and health insurance premiums $1,041
* EDUCATION – day care, baby sitting, books, fees, supplies (this is adjustable) $1,283
* OTHER – haircuts, toothbrushes, sports equipment, portable media players, TV, etc. and reading materials $622
This is the overall annual cost estimates for our area – $12,078
So – how far will your salary go?