1) Clean off your car (don’t forget the roof, lights, and hood.)
2) Check the following things periodically
- Ignition system
- Fuel system
- Fluid levels
- Exhaust system
- Wiper blades
- Cooling system
- Tire tread and pressure
3) Keep your gas above half tank-
-Try and keep your gas at full tank to avoid gas line freezing
4) When checking your tires and treads
-Make sure there is 1/8 inch tire tread & that they’re properly inflated.
-A good idea is to get snow tired or chains for traction.
1) Keep the following winter supplies-
- Jumper Cables
- Multiple Blankets
- Snow Shovel & scraper
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Extra Clothing
- High Calorie/non-perishable food (ex: canned nuts, dried fruits, hard candy)
- First aid kit
- Sand or strips of carpet (for traction)
- Tow Rope
- Cell Phone
- A jack, lug wrench, and spare tire
2) Check conditions & weather information before going out
-If the roads are bad, decide if it’s really worth the risk of leaving.
-Only drive when absolutely necessary.
3) Tell someone where you’re going and when your expect to arrive.
4) Brakes – knowing the difference before you drive
-ABS (Automatic breaking system) – If you have this system you should hold the brakes with constant pressure and don’t pump them
-Standard Brakes – If your car isn’t equipped with ABS brakes then you should pump them instead of using constant pressure.
(You’ll find which type you have simply by looking in your driver’s manual.)
- You should always wear it, but make sure you put on a seat belt.
- Reduce your speed
- Speed limit signs are for dry pavement conditions
- Leave plenty of room for stopping
- Brake early, slowly, and smoothly (no sudden stops)
- Leave plenty of room between you and the car ahead of you (8-10 second distance)
- Think ahead while driving. (Slow down early) if you know there’s a big turn ahead
- Don’t use cruise control
- You need control when you lose traction.
1) If you rear wheels skid-
- Take your foot off the gas
- Steer where you want the front wheels to go
-Sliding right – steer right
-Sliding left – steer left
- Either pump or apply constant pressure to your brakes (depending on which type you have)(See earlier in article)
2) If your front wheels skid-
- Take your foot off the gas & shift to neutral, don’t try to steer immediately
- As your wheels skid sideways the car will slow down & traction will return.
- After you gain some traction steer in the direction you want to go in.
- Then shift back into drive or release the clutch, and accelerate gently.
If you get stuck
- Don’t spin your wheels (they will dig deeper)
- Turn your wheels back and forth (to get snow out of your way)
- Accelerate very slowly & gently (ease your way out)
- Use a shovel to move snow away from your tires
- Use the sand or carpet strips to get traction
- Rock the car back and forth (check owners manual before trying this to see if damage would be done to your transmission.
If you become stranded
- Call 911
- Stay in your car and don’t leave unless necessary.
- Only leave if you know where you are
- Make yourself visible
-Light flares in front and in back of your car a safe distance away
- If the exhaust isn’t blocked run the engine in 10 minute intervals for heat. (Watch your gas level though)
- Keep a window open slightly
-Snow and ice could seal your vehicle shut.
- Eat hard candy. This will keep your mouth moist.
- Avoid overexertion (ex: from pushing your car)
If you’re in an accident
- See if anyone’s injured
- Call 911 if necessary
- Move your car off the road if possible
- Drive license number
- Vehicle registration
- Insurance Information
Have good auto insurance in case your car is submissive to the winter weather -
You can save today, up to 70% off at FloreyInsurance.com across all of Pennsylvania
Don’t wait until it’s too late, get your free quote today.
Si usted habla espanol, podemos ayudarle! Tenemos personas que hablan espanol! Llame hoy y pregunte por Hector.
In these hard economic times, money is always tight. And right around the holidays it gets a lot tighter. Some gifts here, cards there…things sure add up pretty quick! Florey is an agency who can relate to all of our customers. We know what it’s like and we love to help you when the going gets tough! There’s no better time to get insured by us. We’ll save you money quickly and hassle-free! Any time you hop onto our website you will see the option to get a free quote. There’s no reason you shouldn’t at least SEE what you could be saving. Who knows it might be some incentive to keep a couple extra hundred dollars in that wallet of yours. For the holiday season we have a full staff who is ready to help you in every way they can, and with over 35 available discounts and cooperation of multiple companies its easy for us to help you out! Also, here at Florey we like to consider ourselves “technologically advanced” (haha). We have a couple locations that hold our Insurance Kiosks where you can go to access our free quote service and speak to a licensed agent via webcam! This option is also available to those who would rather deal from home. If you don’t have computer access we still make housecalls and take regular phone calls. Any way you wish to do it, we’re here to accommodate you. So keep us in mind! www.floreyinsurance.com
Florey has always been reputable for being fair. Whether it be in regards to our pricing, to our committed agents, or to you…the valued customer. Here at Florey, we work very closely with over 40 different companies. Many of which you may have heard of (Progressive, MetLife, SafeCo). Having access to all of these providers offers us the opportunity to share them with you. What exactly does this mean? It means that we can insure just about anyone. It doesn’t matter if your child is a brand new driver, we’ll find a good AFFORDABLE plan for you to work with. This also goes for the older, wiser people in our family. We have many different and again, affordable, programs for seniors. Inclusive of one we like to call the Senior Assistance Program. Our friendly agents our at your will 6 days a week, from office or from home (Hablamos Espanol, tambien!). So no matter who you are, or where you are in your walks of life, chances are that we can find you a great deal on great coverage.
Tired of just making a guess about good health plans?
Let Florey Insurance guide you in the right direction. With over 80
Medicare plans, we would be more than happy to help you make the right
choice. Too good to be true? Nonsense, just give us a quick call and tell us
what medications you’re taking. From there we can tell you what company
can best serve you! Don’t hesitate! Call today 1 (800) 231-3227!
Working Seemlessly WithFreedom Blue : Unison: Coventry: Cigna : Wellcare Geisinger : United Healthcare : AARP : Humana Health America : Today’s Options : Secure Horizons Blue Cross/ Blue Shield : Advantra : Aetna
Plus Many More!
Are You Getting the Discounts You’re Entitled To? If not call 1-800-231-3227 or visit our website www.floreyinsurance.com
Some of the most common discounts are:
Having Triple A
Renting an Apartment
Being Insured for more than 5 years
There are Companies that will not cancel your policy regardless of Claims
Over 55 Driver Training
New Home Construction
Discount for Pleasure Use of Vehicle
Discount for Limited Tort
Many people are unaware of the large number of savings and discounts available when shopping for car insurance in Pennsylvania. We will present you with 36 easy tips that can potentially save you hundreds on your insurance premium.
1. Make sure you know how far you drive per year. Some companies offer discounted rates if you travel under a certain mileage annually.
2. A good credit score often gives a discount. Although, many companies rate credit scores different ways.
3. Many companies offer a discount for maintaining active insurance coverage prior to switching to another carrier.
4. Some insurance companies give a discount for carrying prior Bodily Injury (BI) Limits of 100/300 or higher.
5. Many companies offer a discount for simply owning a home. With some, you may get this credit for owning a home even if it is not written with the same company as your auto insurance.
6. Insurance companies also may offer a discount if you put your home and auto policies together with one company. This is what’s called the “multi-policy discount”.
7. Some companies may offer a discount for owning a manufactured home and combining it with your auto policy.
8. Companies often offer what’s called a “multi-car” discount on an auto policy. This discount can be given if you insure 2 or more cars on the same policy.
9. Some companies offer a discount for combining your mobile home and car together on the same policy.
10. Many companies offer an advanced quoting discount if you get an insurance quote 8 or more days before the renewal date on your insurance policy.
11. Some insurance companies give a discount for insuring both a car and a motorcycle with the same company.
12. Some companies offer a discount if you insure a boat and a car with the same company.
13. Several companies offer a discount for student drivers with a GPA at or above a certain average, depending on the company.
14. Some companies offer a discount if you’re a teacher.
15. Some offer a discount for firemen.
16. Others offer a discount for being a policeman.
17. You may be able to get a discount if you put your other insurance policies with your auto insurance.
18. Most companies give discounts for paying the insurance premium on a policy in full.
19. Many companies give a discount if you pay your insurance through a checking account or credit card, also referred to as paying through EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer).
20. You may also be able to get a discount if you are a single parent.
21. Some companies may also offer the option of doing business over the internet. This can be an additional discount.
22. There is a discount with many companies for being accident free.
23. Discounts can also be given if you have anti-theft devices such as an alarm system on your car.
24. There is a discount for high deductibles. In fact, the higher the deductible you choose, the lower your total premium will be.
25. Discounts can also be applied if you live in certain areas.
26. A discount may be possible for putting a youthful driver on the policy as the operator of certain cars.
27. You may also be entitled to a discount if you watch a video given by the company.
28. A discount is also given if your son or daughter took driver training.
29. You may also get a discount for being in the military.
30. Other companies offer discounts for lower limits.
31. Some carriers offer discounts if you work for certain companies.
32. You can get a discount if you are a farmer.
33. There is also a discount for full coverage, which means you carry coverage for the other person in an accident and your own car too.
34. You can get big discounts for insuring antique or classic cars.
35. Different companies offer discounts if you drive certain types of cars.
36. There is a discount for long-distance student drivers. Usually to qualify, the student must go to school >100 miles from their residence address.
NOTE: Discounts vary from company to company. Not all discounts listed are applicable to all insurance companies.