Renter’s Insurance is similar to home insurance but renters insurance protects you in situations that everyone can face: fire, theft, water damage, and other circumstances your landlord’s policy may not cover.
You can customize the coverage with limits you select – for specified items and situations including:
- Personal property (furniture, electronics, computers, clothing, etc)
- Personal liability if someone is hurt, whether in your home or away from it
- Damage to your apartment or home caused by a coverage loss
Imagine coming home from a family outing and coming home to fire trucks and police cars. Building fires and damage can happen at anytime, anywhere, but with the proper renters insurance, your property inside the apartment will generally be covered if it’s affected by any of the following:
- Smoke Damage
- Collapse of the building due to weather
- Water leakage or overflow
- Freezing of plumbing, air conditioning
- And more
Renters insurance will protect you from incidents that occur while you’re at home too, such as a toaster catching on fire or someone slipping while visiting you.
Renters insurance covers your own items as well as other people’s injuries or damages in situations for which you’re liable.
You can’t rely on your landlord’s policy to cover your valuables – landlords only cover the building structure not your own property.